Will my insurance cover the cost of counselling?

If you have extended benefits through your’s or your spouse’s workplace‘s insurance plan, the costs of counselling services might be covered.

Sunlife, Aspiria, Great West Life, Lifeworks, Manulife, Morneau Shepell, Sunlife and other providers may reimburse people for services they receive from a Registered Professional Counsellor (RPC) affiliated with the Canadian Professional Counsellors Association (CPCA), a national regulatory association. 

To find out if you are eligible for coverage (and the extent of your coverage), ask your provider the following questions: 

  1. Do you cover Registered Counsellors?
    Most insurances covers counsellors from a variety of professions (social work, psychology, art therapy, expressive therapies); however, some only cover registered social workers and some cover only psychologists. Check your plan to confirm that they cover this profession.

    Would you make an exception?
    If your company does not cover Registered Professional Counsellors (RPC’S), you may consider writing to ask the company if they would make an exception. Some insurance companies have made exceptions in order to meet the specialized needs of their clients.

  2. How much am I covered for?
    Ask the amount of money which you are covered for.

  3. What is the maximum amount paid per session for the therapist?
    Insurance companies often pay counsellors below the counsellor’s private practice rate for therapy services. It is important that you know what the insurance company maximum is and what the counsellor’s private practice fee is.

  4. Are there any deductibles?
    Ask for information about any deductibles that your insurance company might charge you if you utilize the money allotted for counselling coverage.

  5. Is the coverage for a calendar year or a fiscal year?
    Some insurance companies give a set amount of money that you can use in a year for counselling. It is important to know if they base this on a calendar year (beginning in January-December) or a fiscal year (beginning in April to May). Depending on when you need to begin your counselling, this question can make a big difference in the amount of coverage available to you.